Thursday, April 10, 2008

The eye has it

I'm sure the client loved the idea of literally putting a happy face on the idea of being an organ donor, but somebody at the agency should have realized that this creepy ad from 1991 kind of falls into the area of sending the opposite message they intended.  Instead of easing the creepiness factor of donating your innards, this ad makes it seems like they're going to start harvesting your organs while you're still alive (and you're supposed to be happy about it).

UPDATE 4/18:  This 2004 ad makes it clearer -- and even less appealing.  Please note what I said about being smart enough to know when your jokey ideas should stay on the layout pad.


Welcome to my guests from Copyranter. While you're visiting, check out other posts here. If you like what you read, bookmark my site and come back again.

UPDATE 4/19:  Sorry to read that Copyranter is discontinuing his blog.  Well, maybe my daily commentary can help fill the void in his absence.

UPDATE 4/24:  Okay, so Copyranter's back after all.  Still, it's not a monogamous relationship, right?  You can see other blogs.  Check out this recent posting for links to some of the advertising topics I've covered from my own skewed perspective.

UPDATE 4/28:  Welcome Sivacracy visitors.  If you're interested in reading some of my other takes on advertising-related subjects, this recent posting has a roundup of several recent topics.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At April 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone proof the copy on the 2004 organ donor ad?
WHAT? nobody saw that? I wonder WHAT the f@#k they were talking about. WHATever!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home